Mould Resistant Additives, Mould Inhibiting Paint or Mould Resistant Paint

Mould inhibiting additives are designed to keep mould at bay. But some of these additives can react with the paint’s chemicals, causing volatile organic compounds (VOCs). VOCs can cause poor indoor air quality and odours that can potentially cause headaches, migraines, skin irritations and eczema. 

While there are many options available for mould inhibiting additives, they aren’t all created equal. Some may cross-react with the chemicals in paint and produce volatile organic compounds (VOCs). To prevent this, it’s important to read the labels for any materials that you’re looking to add to your paint products.

However, it is NOT recommended to use such products. Mould can still grow on the surface of the paint. Moisture, humidity and condensation is the main cause of mould growth. Mould can feed off the surface dust. Removing the water source and keeping dust levels low will reduce the risk of mould growth. Ventilation and air flow is essential to control this. Wet area ventilation is critical.