What is black mould?
Black mould refers to a type of fungi that has many names such as Stachybotrys, Cladosporium or Aspergillus niger. These types of mould are often found to be black in colour. It can grow inside walls and in the ventilation systems in buildings. The spores from these fungi float around in the air and can be inhaled by people.
Health effects of black mould
Black moulds release toxins called mycotoxins that can cause difficulty breathing, irritation or burning in the eyes and throat, chest tightness and a rash at the point where skin comes into contact with them. When mycotoxins are inhaled they can lead to long-term health effects such as brain fog, fatigue, headache, sleep disruption or memory problems. These symptoms usually last for a few
Stachybotrys has been found to have mycotoxins that can cause major health problems when exposing humans to them in large doses like in indoor environments. These mycotoxins are especially dangerous for infants, because they are still developing and therefore more susceptible to these toxins.
If you are experiencing any symptoms that may be related to this mold, it may be best to get examined by a doctor immediately and hire a Building Biologist to complete a mould and moisture assessment.